Many people have a low level of awareness about disability issues. This is often due to having infrequent contact with people with a disability.
This course has been designed to increase learners’ knowledge of disabilities in the workplace. It will look at the different types of disabilities and give learners a greater awareness of issues surrounding disability. It will also look at how individuals and the whole organisation can ensure that people with a disability are not discriminated against in the workplace.
• Types of disabilities, including:
• Common myths about disabilities;
• UN Convention on the Rights of Person with Disabilities;
• Disability discrimination legislation;
• Responsibilities of the organisation and employees in regards to disability;
• Workplace adjustments;
• Communicating with a person with a disability.
At the completion of this course, learners should be able to:
• Discuss the different types of disabilities;
• Identify common myths about people with disabilities;
• Discuss the rights of people with disabilities;
• Explain how legislation affects how people with disabilities should be treated;
• Discuss their responsibilities and those of the organisation in relation to people with disabilities.