Managing the performance of staff is a critical factor for achieving an organisation's desired
goals and organisational success. It is also a vital part of a staff member’s career and
employment as it opens up communication about the staff member’s contribution to the
This course aims to familiarise managers with the various components of performance
management including creating development plans, monitoring progress and giving
opportunities for learning and development.
• Introduction to performance management;
• Benefits of performance management;
• Manager's responsibilities;
• Designing a development plan;
• Monitoring progress;
• Offering development opportunities;
• Performance evaluations;
• Probationary performance evaluations;
• Documenting performance;
• Applying discipline.
At the completion of this course, learners should be able to:
• Discuss the objectives of performance management;
• Explain the benefits of performance management;
• Understand their responsibilities in relation to managing staff performance;
• Conduct performance management activities;
• Demonstrate how to provide feedback and be a mentor;
• Apply the disciplinary process.