Organisations have a legal responsibility to balance the public interest for free and transparent transfer of information with the protection and appropriate respect of personal information.
This course outlines the legal and ethical responsibilities of both organisations and staff to ensure the privacy of personal or sensitive information. More specifically, this course aims to give learners a foundation in the responsible collection, use, storage and disclosure of information to ensure compliance with privacy legislation.
• Overview of privacy legislation;
• Definition of personal information;
• Steps that must be taken when collecting personal information;
• Steps that must be taken to ensure the security of any personal information collected;
• The proper use and disclosure of personal information;
• The rights of individuals to access and correct personal information;
• Definition of unique identifiers and their correct application;
• Managing privacy breaches.
At the completion of this course, learners should be able to:
• Understand what is considered ‘personal information’;
• Discuss their legal responsibilities to protect personal information;
• Recognise the issues and obligations surrounding the collection, use, storage and disclosure of personal information;
• Manage the handling of personal information according to legislation and workplace policies.