Records are an important source of knowledge and need to be managed effectively in order to improve both the efficiency and effectiveness of the organisation.
This course is aimed at developing awareness and applied understanding in all staff who are responsible for the creation, capture, protection and appropriate disposal of records. It introduces learners to the fundamentals of records management, with the aim of developing an understanding of the nature, importance, purpose and characteristics of records, records management and records management systems.
• The importance of records;
• Characteristics of good records;
• Records management systems;
• Creating records and the different types of records (e.g. hard copy and electronic);
• Deciding what should or should not be captured;
• Classifying records and providing appropriate access to records;
• Security safeguards;
• Disposing of records.
At the completion of this course, learners should be able to:
• Explain what records are and why they are important;
• Outline the benefits of good records management practice;
• Articulate your responsibilities in regards to records management.